Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cooking for one

I tend to eat different types of meals when Scott is out of town. While Scott is very accepting of nearly everything I make in the kitchen and he is in fact one of the most open-minded eaters I know (paleo tendencies aside), I just like to do things differently when I am cooking for one. Scott would likely call my choices "girly" meals, as they are lighter, have limited to no meat, usually involve a mixture of lots of good vegetables, and may have at least one cheese component as well. I use this as an opportunity to try dishes that he may not think are a good idea.

So, while Scott was out of town for five days recently I cooked the following:

Thursday night: Stuffed tomatoes with sauteed spinach. The tomatoes were stuffed with cooked grits, herbs, and a mixture of ricotta, asiago, and parmesan cheeses, and the spinach was sauteed with garlic and olive oil. This meal was OK, likely my least favorite from the bunch. I might consider making stuffed tomatoes again, but I was not a super fan of the grits inside the tomato (though the cheese blend inside was pretty good).






Friday night: Leek and feta bruschetta on garlic toast with a large side salad. The salad was my favorite concoction from the Central Market salad bar that I try to have at least once a week: mixed greens, carrots, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, bacon, feta cheese, balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The leek and feta bruschetta was surprisingly awesome, and I regret that I do not have a photo to share. I wasn't too hungry that evening given that I met my friend Zining for a large-ish Thai lunch that day, but this dinner hit the spot for a light meal. Who knew sauteed leeks were so delicious?!?



Saturday night: Grilled mahi-mahi with cilantro lime butter and the same side salad from Central Market. I did not take a photo of the meal to share, but let me just plug the lovely Cuisinart griddle/grill combo device my mom gave me for my birthday as being a super handy appliance to have in your kitchen. The plates are interchangable so the device is both a griddle and a grill. I discovered that I can use the grill plates to cook fish and various meats and I love using the griddle for grilled sandwiches, quesadillas, and pancakes.




Sunday night: Ricotta pasta with spinach and tomatoes. This pasta was very good and I would make it again. The sauce was a blend of garlic, chicken stock, olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and ricotta cheese. I added some fresh parmesan as well, and mixed in wilted spinach, fresh basil, and cherry tomatoes. This looks similar to Thursday's meal because I was trying to use some of the remaining ingredients (ricotta cheese, spinach) that I still had on hand.




But the real stand out was the following dish that I made for lunch: "Magic" quinoa salad (the term magic was provided by the blogger whose website I got the recipe from). This was my first experience cooking quinoa and I found it easy to make. I mixed cooked quinoa with sauteed leeks (I am LOVING leeks after discovering their sweet goodness!), chopped celery, feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, craisins, and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. This was delicious the day I made it, though a bit less delicious after sitting in the refrigerator for a day as leftovers. I would totally make this again.





Truthful disclosure: I make my meals on the light side whenever possible so that I don't feel guilty for having dessert afterwards. While that may defeat the purpose some, the other way that I justify my actions is by remembering that I run a lot and likely work some of the extra dessert off. I did not take photos to post of the yummy lemon pound cake (purchased from Amelia's class bake sale on Friday), vanilla ice cream, or chocolate cupcake that I also enjoyed during this time.

3 comments:

  1. Next time Scott leaves I'm moving in so I can eat all these meals with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE quinoa (and leeks, btw!) Try this quinoa recipe if you need another great one...http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspxI add tomatoes or chopped red pepper to it. Yum! It sounds like you and I have very similar cooking tendencies. :) Evidently, however, I am a food hoarder, as we are starting week number 2 of "clean out the freezer and cupboards" week, where I try to significantly reduce my weekly grocery shopping (which usually includes trips to the farmers market, Whole Foods, and Publix). Its like an episode of Chopped every night! Last week's favorite was mexican stuffed zucchini. Tomorrow night is crockpot pineapple chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry that all ran together...I swear there were some paragraphs. :)

    ReplyDelete