Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Chile Relleno Soup

I enjoy reading cooking blogs. I keep about a dozen on my regular reading rotation for much-needed cooking inspiration. Plus, the photos are always amazing. 

For every ten good-looking dishes that I discover on blogs, I probably only make maybe one of them. So I am thrilled when the dish turns out to be one of the best things I have cooked in a long time.

This soup is one of those memorable dishes. Following the delicious food that we ate in Mexico, I have found myself gravitating towards similar flavor profiles. We enjoyed a tasty chile relleno as an appetizer one evening in Mexico, so when this Chile Relleno Soup was featured on one of the cooking blogs that I read I knew I wanted to try it. 

This soup was fantastic. The flavor of the roasted peppers shines through and is complemented by the sweetness of the cheese (photo below is from the blogger's website). I am documenting this soup here so that I remember to make it again. 












Ingredients:

5 poblano peppers
2 white potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup frozen corn
2 tbsp buter
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
4 cups chicken stock 
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
6 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Preparation:

Roast poblano peppers until skin is charred and blistered. Place poblanos in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool, then rub skin to remove as much as possible. Cut out seeds and then place in a food processor or blender to finely chop. Set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and poblanos and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add potato pieces and cook until potatoes are boiled, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add cream cheese, frozen corn, and two cups of the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.
To serve, divide into 6 bowls and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Is this spicy at all? Seems like I could easily make it vegetarian but I'm not a huge spicy person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not spicy in my opinion. I actually added a diced jalapeño pepper because Scott prefers spicy flavors. The roasted poblanos have more of a smoky flavor than spicy flavor. I am not sure if you eat cheese, but to me the winning component of this soup is the cheese (so I wouldn't leave it out). The roasted peppers and other veggies are very good, but to me it's all about the cheese. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete