Monday, January 4, 2016

Bringing it back

I stopped writing new posts for this blog in November of 2014. At the time I was feeling burnt out and overwhelmed with a lot of things, so I thought I would take a break from writing to "create more time". Shortly afterwards when 2015 didn't start off on a pleasant note, I really struggled to find peace within. I felt frustrated with many things - relationships, my job, the overriding disorganization of my home, stress, and a feeling of a loss of control over my time. I didn't feel like I had much that I wanted to share so I decided to stop writing and posting altogether.

As the year went on, however, I found that I missed documenting and sharing our family's memories on this blog a lot. The whole reason I started writing in the first place was to share our family's experiences and memories (and photos) with friends and family that live out of town. I enjoyed looking back on posts that I had written to reflect on fun past memories. I even had bigger future plans to publish all the blog posts in a keepsake book for our family.

But an unrecognized side benefit, that I didn't realize until last year when I stopped, was that writing my thoughts here helped me to formally recognize and reflect on the blessings in my life. Deep down I know I am very blessed and I believe I generally feel grateful most of the time. But once the wallowing self-pity related to frustrations I experienced at the start of last year took over, I stopped letting the good and positive feelings come to the surface most of the time. And not having this space as a means of reflection didn't help at all. Not writing here didn't necessarily "create more time" for other things. I missed documenting our memories and reflecting on blessings.

So in the spirit of gratitude and peacefulness at the start of this new year, I am giving myself permission to start posting again. I am excited to use this space as a means of reflection, and to write about our family's adventures and experiences together again. The year 2016 has started off nicely so far and I look forward to enjoying (and sharing) the many blessing that the rest of the year brings.

     

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I checked the blog this morning in the off chance that there were pictures from Mexico. Excited to see what the year has in store for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're back! Love how the blog became a change in perspective for you. Perhaps I need to think that way, too!

    ReplyDelete