Saturday, January 12, 2013

Amazing films

Due to a random set of events, I am happy to say that this year I have seen two of the films nominated for the Academy Award's Best Picture Award. I don't have the chance to see films that often in the movie theater (or I suppose I should say that I choose not to shell out $50+ for a sitter to attend a movie in the theater that often), so when I have the rare opportunity to see a movie in the theater I want it to be an intense, high-quality film. I want it to be an amazing experience that completely transforms my mind and takes me out the normal day-to-day element for two+ hours.

I am so content with the two Academy Award-nominated films I was able to see in the theater this year. Both were extraordinary and went way beyond my expectations for enjoyment.

First up was Life of Pi. Scott and I saw this together on a date night back in early December.


I had not read the book beforehand and all I knew of the plot was what the media was reporting of the story in the few weeks after the film was released. Most "reviews" I read before we saw this film were that it was about an Indian boy on a lifeboat with a tiger, and that the film had extraordinary scenery and cinematography. I was prepared to enjoy the movie itself but wasn't entrenched in the story at all.

So I didn't know about the surprise ending, or the multiple story-line parallels that were revealed at the end of the film. This film was stunning, both visually and mentally, and Scott and I both agreed that is was quite fantastic. I thought about this movie for weeks on end afterwards and plan to read the book someday soon (Scott gave it to me as a Christmas gift because we both enjoyed the movie so much). Definitely a must-see in the theater because of the stunning visual elements on the big screen. 

Perhaps more surprising - because it was so enjoyable - was Silver Linings Playbook. I saw this movie alone tonight. I am on a trip for work and decided to treat myself to a movie tonight after the conference was over before I fly home early tomorrow morning.

A girlfriend of mine had told me that this movie was good, but after I watched the trailer online I wasn't convinced that it sounded that interesting. Boy was I wrong. I LOVED this film!

Silver Linings Playbook is a fantastic story with an intricate plot that is interwoven on multiple dimensions. I have seen some media outlets advertise it as a "date move", which is kind-of is, it's also a comedy and a drama and a romance all rolled into one. I laughed out loud over a dozen times, nearly cried twice, and didn't want the movie to end. It was a two hour film and I didn't want the movie to end, it was that good. The acting was phenomenal. Probably not necessary to see this one on the big screen, but it is definitely a fantastic film that will blow your mind away.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award-nominated films? Any recommendations for other movies I should see - in the theaters or not - in the near future?

2 comments:

  1. I saw "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and would definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Scott got you the book, Life of Pi. Mom gave that to me years ago when it first came out and I still count it as one of the most unique, well-written and thought-inspiring books I've ever read. And you know us Mack girls read a lot! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Especially after your review!

    ReplyDelete