Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mother of the Year

I deserve the Mother of the Year award.

Not!

Nope - this story describes anything but the best mother award. Here's the background - a local restaurant that the kids like (Cafe Brazil) serves "candy bar pancakes", which are pretty much just as the name describes. A stack of beautifully fluffy pancakes with crushed up candy bars (Reese's, Snickers, M&Ms, etc.) in between each layer. When the candy is crushed beneath warm pancakes the chocolate melts slightly, so when splashed with whipped cream and a sliver of syrup before serving, these pancakes are downright lethal in terms of the sugar content. It's no wonder that my kids love them.

This weekend the kids requested that we go to Cafe Brazil for candy bar pancakes, but I wasn't in the mood. The restaurant serves awesome omelets and other breakfast items that are actually pretty good for you (or at least they have a lot of veggies), so I do enjoy going there. But the timing just didn't work out for a trip to Cafe Brazil this weekend so I denied their request.

So to make up for this, I promised the kids we could make our own candy bar pancakes at home for dinner on Monday if they met certain behavioral objectives beforehand. (Translation: I bribed them by promising candy bar pancakes in advance of getting them to complete certain chores).

So how did this turn out? The kids loved it - but of course, this was entirely predictable! John studded his pancakes with crushed up Reeses's (beneath the whipped cream in the photo below) and then added M&Ms for color. Amelia had a combination of Snickers and Reese's (no whipped cream) on hers.


Notice the plate in the front of the photo. It contains two small slices of bacon (protein) and a half of a juicy pear (fruit, hence nutrients!). Does the balance of meat and fruit outweigh the candy bar pancakes as a meal for dinner? Most definitely not! But we all had a fun evening and the kids thought it was fun to make candy bar pancakes at home. Thank goodness for leftover Halloween candy for providing the candy bars that we wouldn't normally have in the house.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say you're a pretty awesome mom! That meal was probably still healthier than a preservative and sugar packed meal like a cup of ravioli, cheez-its,and fruit snacks (I see this lunch at school often!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun Wendy. I still put choc chips in my pancakes. Unsure that I would like Reese's and m&ms though. Good job!

    ReplyDelete