The strangest thing has happened to me over the past two or three years. I have developed a positive attitude towards certain foods that I NEVER used to like. Sometimes I actually crave such foods. I'm talking about items (mainly vegetables) that are often on most people's "NO" list. Things like mushrooms, brussels sprouts, eggplant, avocados, and sweet potatoes. Well, that last one deserves special attention because sweet potatoes are actually quite popular, but I never ate them until the past few years. The other items on my list? Well, they are quite hit or miss.
For example, tonight's dinner was a combination of mashed sweet potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, and a corn muffin. You can tell that Scott is out of town because there is no animal protein in there, and I think I am craving Thanksgiving foods and this is what I could come up with. But, really! Roasted brussels sprouts are just about the best thing ever. I use this recipe from Cooking Light, subbing parmesan cheese for the romano.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/romano-topped-brussels-sprouts-50400000124431/
And avocado? I am a big believer in using avocado in salads all the time. It doesn't get much better than fresh arugula or baby lettuce with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, and a lime vinaigrette dressing studded with flakes of salt and pepper for dressing. And I can't tell you how many times I have purchased guacamole over the past couple of years. Who knew? I never ate this until a few years ago.
Sweet potatoes? They belong in everything from soups to salads. We tried this outstanding gem recently. So good!
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-sweet-potato-salad-50400000123966/
Mushrooms? Completely made for pasta, although they are delicious chopped and diced raw in salads as well. My mom thinks it is hilarious (crazy) that for over thirty years I picked mushrooms out of each and every dish she prepared with them inside, and now I actively find ways to include them in a meal.
Eggplant? Roast it and stick it in a roasted vegetable salad or as a condiment in a wrap, which my lovely cousin Kim taught me to do).
So what is the point of this rambling?
I really have no idea. Except that the puzzling nature of once foreign foods, now turned into favorites, has boggled my mind for quite awhile and I don't know what to do with it. I guess I will keep experimenting to see what else I can come up with. Please send any suggestions you have for fun recipes with these ingredients my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love that when Scott leaves you cook differently. When Dave leaves I have popcorn for dinner. :)
ReplyDelete