Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween 2012

The latter half of Halloween week got a little crazy at the Wilson's, hence the delayed posting of photos of children in Halloween costumes. I am strongly in favor of weekend Halloween events, in fact I believe that if October 31 naturally falls on a weekday then the government should make it mandatory that trick-or-treating should be celebrated on the following Friday or Saturday night. That would make things a lot easier on working parents and children that have to get up and go to work and school the next day!

Amelia dressed as Hermione Griffendor Granger (from Harry Potter) this year. I hope I got that name correct! Thanks to my cousin Kim for correcting my description of this character! I haven't read the Harry Potter books so I have a hard time keeping the names straight from what Amelia tells me. However, I am proud to say that I can now name all of the houses of HP and tell you a little about them.
John went as the "Scream" character from the movie. John is not actually familiar with this character itself, but rather he liked all of the "scary" costumes from the mail-order catalogs we looked through together.  This was the best one where John's interest and my permission-to-purchase intersected. People on our block (where we trick-or-treated) provided good frightened cries towards John when he approached their homes, so John felt proud that he was scary enough for Halloween this year.

We enjoyed a lovely evening that began with a fun block party followed by low-key trick-or-treating. Our favorite part of Halloween, in addition to seeing the children excited with their costumes, is the opportunity to visit with other families on our block and in the surrounding area. Temperatures were in the mid-60's, which made for a gorgeous few hours outside to enjoy the holiday strolling with our friends and neighbors. And now we have enough candy to make it for months of sugar overload. Amelia and John are thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. Hermione GRANGER, Wendy. :) And you should really read the books - they're crazy good!!

    ReplyDelete