Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Race recap

My marathon training is peaking this week. We have completed all but one of our long runs, with the last of the bunch, 22 miles, this coming Saturday. Two weeks ago was the 20-miler and it went really well. I was finally able to run with the group after my disappointing solo 18-mile run, and this one was SO much better. The weather was awesome, the company made the miles past faster, and we ran through some cool parts of Dallas that I hadn't run through so the variety helped to keep it interesting. If this week's 22 miles goes nearly as well, I will feel as prepared as possible for the marathon (just 3 1/2 weeks away!).

This past week we ran a half marathon race as our long run. This is a race I have run each year since I started this distance running endeavor. This particular race is the first half marathon I ever ran (in 2007) and this race was my ninth half marathon race completed.

On Sunday the weather was perfect and I felt optimistic at the start. Midway through the course when I finally acknowledged to myself that I was feeling strong and happy (rather than struggling, which I have done in other half marathons), I felt like I was actually realizing some of the benefits of the marathon training. Running 13 didn't like as big of a deal when I have completed 16, 18, and 20-mile runs. I ran this race hard, but with a fun attitude, and was rewarded with a PR to boot. Yahoo!

One motivating factor was that I had to finish quickly because Amelia was singing in church the Sunday morning of the race. With an 8:00 start, and knowing that if all went well (race started on time, I didn't get injured, I ran at a predicatable pace, etc.) I might have a shot of being in the car on the way home by 10:15, which would give me enough time for a quick shower and still get to the church before 11:00. Turns out I was home earlier than expected, had time for a full shower (I even dried my hair!), got dressed in a skirt and HEELS, ate a snack, and was at church by 10:55.

A lot of my good feelings about this event stem from the fact that it was mentally rewarding for me in many respects. I have been struggling personally with some work-related issues that have been dragging me down lately, so having this race as a boost to feel proud of a minor accomplishment was very rewarding, and honestly much-needed to help my sanity. Check out that big grin on my face a few minutes after crossing the finish line. This is a genuine smile, which I hope to replicate on marathon day.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray! It's amazing how good a race can make you feel, huh?

    ReplyDelete