Thursday, May 9, 2013

UP 4th Grade Poetry Day

Today was 4th Grade Poetry Day at Amelia's elementary school. The fourth graders were assigned the job of selecting a partner and a poem to recite in the hallways during the hour-long poetry display. The event was like an active museum - participants could browse amongst the "exhibits" and request that each group recite their poem on cue. Amelia and her BFF Lydia performed a ballet-themed poem together. 


The poem was great and the girls did a great job reciting it for the parents and students wandering the hallways during the exhibit hour. I was impressed that Amelia and Lydia had choreographed a few ballet steps to pair with the words spoken in their poem.


Parents were welcome to attend Poetry Day and students from all grades were released periodically from their classrooms to view the exhibits. Amelia and Lydia are on the left in the photo below. You can see how crowded the hallways got at certain times.

And wouldn't you know that while I was at the school I ran into John and his classmates while they were enjoying the poetry exhibits! It was fun for me to find John in the crowd, though John was a bit embarrassed about my having found him. Below John is listening to a pair of boys recite their poem about duck hunting (we do live in Texas, after all).
What a fun morning. I was glad that I was working from home today and could easily step out for an hour to attend the poetry exhibits.

Random question - why does Leo (and probably all cats in general) have to insist on sitting square on the papers that I am working on during my work hours? What's wrong with the couch from 8-5 and then he can get all snuggly afterwards? Just sayin'.


2 comments:

  1. Amelia looks so cute... and so does Leo! He's still so small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo is just being helpful Wendy. How could you get work done without his assistance? Also- better to have a paper sitter than carpet/cord/everything destroying cats like the ones at my house.

    ReplyDelete