Sunday, May 12, 2013

Park Cities Spring Track Meet

John participated in the Park Cities YMCA Spring Track Meet yesterday. John was on a team with other first grade boys from his school, where the teams from all of the local elementary schools competed against each other. During John's two hour section of the meet we got to watch the first and second grade boys and girls compete in several events. Each team seemed to consist of about a dozen kids, so with all of the parents, siblings, and friends out at the track cheering their school's team, the atmosphere was fun and festive.

The meet was held at SMU's Westcott Field, the university's soccer stadium. The first and second graders could compete in one running event and one field event, with the choices being the 50M or 100M run and either the baseball throw or long jump.


Only participants and coaches were allowed on the field, so all of my photos were the best I could get with my zoom lens. Below are John and his teammates on the field before the event started. John is wearing the orange shorts.

John participated in the 100M run. He is second from the left in the photo below.


If you look closely, John has his tongue sticking out of his mouth. It's part of his concentration face that we see sometimes when he plays sports. What determination!



John did great with a fast run, finishing second in his heat (behind the kid in the green shirt in the photo above).

John's other event was the long jump - soaring above the pit!


Though reluctant to cooperate with me (as usual), I finally got some good photos of John after the meet.




I love the photo above! And I liked the shirts that the coach had printed for John's team to wear during the meet. "The faster you run, the faster you're done". I'll have to remember that the next time I am struggling during a run myself.
What a fun event - perfect for a competitive boy like John. I'm eager to see the results and learn how the UP boys did against the other teams.

1 comment: