Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blueberries

I have moved on from leeks and am currently obsessed with blueberries. Well, I actually haven't forgotten about cooking with leeks entirely, but after a trip to the farmer's market last weekend (our first this year) I rediscovered a local organic blueberry farmer who just might have the tastiest, sweetest, blueberries on the planet.




Gorgeous! So what to make with these yummy blueberries? Well, after eating numerous handfuls of berries straight from the container and reviewing dozens of recipes, I decided to make blueberry crumb bars. Of course I selected a dessert! We were invited over to a friend's house for dinner and I was asked to bring dessert, so what better way to showcase these delicious berries than baked inside two layers of a buttery crumb crust?


These bars were delicious! The recipe I used was from smittenkitchen, which can be assessed at http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/blueberry-crumb-bars/). I think the recipe is great, though I am guessing that these bars would taste just as good if the amount of crust were reduced (or at least the amount of butter in the crust were reduced).

Note: Everything I have tried from smitten kitchen has been fabulous, so check it out if you are not familiar with this website.

We also scored from amazing tomatoes at the farmer's market from a farm east of Dallas as well as some great locally made fresh mozarella. Combined with some fresh basil from the backyard (yes, my basil plant is still alive!), this led to several delicious lunches over the weekend of caprese salad.

I hope we will get back to the farmer's market often this summer so that I can expend my rarely used creative energies in the kitchen trying out seasonal recipes.

2 comments:

  1. Blueberries are on sale lately so i've been eating my half cup a day-love them! I love to make blueberry pancakes on saturday morning or blueberry muffins (mom's recipe). Soon (july), I am going to go pick my own at a local farm-hopefully raspberries too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never need to reduce the amount of butter! That is what is making it so good. I think I will try the on Sunday. They sound good.

    ReplyDelete