Yeah, maybe the "fun" in "No school because it is too icy!!" is all for the kids and not for the adults left in charge. As much as I am happy that I haven't gotten out of my sweatpants since Tuesday (I have showered, of course, and washed the clothing), I can't help but wonder how this continued stay at home (as we hit day #4!) is affecting my mood. On one hand I am secretly glad for the break from the normal routine and the time at home with family, but on the other hand reality hits me in the face because I know that eventually we are going to have to make up this time off in some fashion. In between moments of confusion over whether I should enjoy this time at home or be angry about the changes it imposes on our family dynamics, I shot the following photos of the children relishing this weather phenomenon in north Texas.
The land is icy. Most of the roadways are cleared by now (with icy patches here and there) but many of the sidewalks and areas under tree cover are pure blocks of ice. You should see our sidewalk leading up to the house. Pure ice. It sounds like you are walking on a glacier when you walk across the front lawn, no joke. Amelia and John think this is awesome, of course. I also find it interesting to a certain extent.
We copied the following idea after watching our neighbors across the street doing this down their driveway. Since we don't own real sleds to skate across the ice, why not take an empty laundry basket, stick a kid in it, and see if it can glide across the ice? Fun, and actually completely harmless. Below Amelia is waiting for John to get back in the basket.

John loved being the passenger, getting pulled across the sidewalk. I didn't get a good shot of it, but at times he stuck his head back, as if relaxing on the beach, seeming content to have his sister pull him across the icy land. Of course I am taking these photos using my wonderful telephoto lens, safely snug inside the house wearing said sweatpants for the third day in a row.

Many neighborhood kids are out for short periods of time each day. Temperatures haven't been above freezing since Monday night so the kids don't stay out long, but they seem to enjoy watching each other skate on the ice and gather in the fresh air from time to time.

Amelia and John enjoyed breaking off large pieces of ice that had frozen in the gutters down the street. Check out the weapon John is holding in his right hand below!

And then they ate it. Yes, my precious children broke off pieces of dirty ice, ice that had been in the gutters along with leaves, dirt, and probably dead bugs. They put it in their mouths willingly because it was cold and it tasted good. And I was inside in my cozy sweatpants, taking pictures like a stalker through the front window, so I didn't get there in time to stop them.

Last but not least, the final fun activity for the kids was throwing huge chunks of ice down the sidewalk and watching them shatter to shreds on the walkway.

I did not discourage this activity - and have the photos to prove it - until John got the idea to throw the ice chunks at our house. Before I had time to fully comprehend what he was doing I heard the shatter. I was in the back of the house and heard the glass break. Yes, John threw a huge chunk of ice directly through Amelia's bedroom window. Besides the broken glass and the looming repair bill, I realize that it is sub-freezing outside and I am freaking obout how to keep the cold out. The children were remorseful for about 10 minutes after this - they knew they were in trouble - and I let them simmer while I found cardboard and duct tape to "repair" the window until we can get it replaced.
What began as much fun in the ice ended on a sour note (John!!), but looking back on the photos I can't help but think the children will remember these as fond times. No school, at home all day, mom half-way paying attention to them, relishing the freedom. Despite the frustration, there is a lot to like in these days away from normal.
I was cracking up at the thought of your kids eating ice, then I about fell out of my seat when John threw the ice through the window!! Just think of what a great story it will be to tell for years and years to come. :)
ReplyDelete