Amelia brought this lantern out of her closet, which was an art project she received as a gift for her last birthday, that she thought would make a nice table decoration. The kids proposed that we set the table wtih candles ("to make it like a fancy restaurant") and use chopticks for the meal. Amelia and John helped determine the menu: roasted chicken, rice, broccoli and green beans. I also made pork and vegetable dumplings, which I enjoyed but the kids were not in favor of.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Chinese New Year
The Wilsons cebrated the Chinese New Year this week. The idea came about after Amelia and I were talking one day about whether she understood that the holiday was in the coming week. Amelia's elementary school recently held their annual International Days festival, where they had discussed Chinese New Year, so she said that she understood. In addition, one of Amelia's good friends is of Chinese heritage and one of my best friends at work is also from China, so we have multiple influences in our lives to motivate us to have fun with the holiday.
Amelia brought this lantern out of her closet, which was an art project she received as a gift for her last birthday, that she thought would make a nice table decoration. The kids proposed that we set the table wtih candles ("to make it like a fancy restaurant") and use chopticks for the meal. Amelia and John helped determine the menu: roasted chicken, rice, broccoli and green beans. I also made pork and vegetable dumplings, which I enjoyed but the kids were not in favor of.
The biggest hits for the kids were eating with the chopsticks and having a special ambiance in the dining area. Amelia and John were so proud that they learned to eat rice with their chopsticks!
Amelia brought this lantern out of her closet, which was an art project she received as a gift for her last birthday, that she thought would make a nice table decoration. The kids proposed that we set the table wtih candles ("to make it like a fancy restaurant") and use chopticks for the meal. Amelia and John helped determine the menu: roasted chicken, rice, broccoli and green beans. I also made pork and vegetable dumplings, which I enjoyed but the kids were not in favor of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment