Saturday, March 27, 2010

Surprise snow

We had an early spring snow in Dallas last weekend. It was the first day of spring, in fact. The weather forecasters were calling for - at most - a dusting or one inch of accumulation. I wasn't expecting much at all. The previous day had been sunny with temperatures near 70 degrees.

Amelia and I attended a ballet performance downtown on Saturday night with friends. Tiny flurries had begun to fall as we were walking to the performance hall and we were excited to see that a dusting of snow had accumulated by the time we left two hours later. The snow was still coming down when I went to bed that evening. I was impressed, thinking that we would wake up to an inch of snow on the ground Sunday morning. I was thinking ahead to the children's excitement about seeing the snow.

Instead of one inch, we were greeted with the following scene in our backyard Sunday morning.

Four inches of fluffy snow! I actually got out a ruler to measure the amount as I was in shock by the volume. This was a pretty, pretty snow, layering white globs of fluff over everything.

Amelia and John got out to enjoy the snow for a few minutes before we went to church. They both seemed to particularly enjoy running in the snow, as it was light and fluffy so you could kick it easily.


John's face looks funny below because he has his toungue out to taste the flakes, as small flurries were still falling that morning.

This snow was apparently also good for eating straight from the ground, as evidenced by Amelia's look below. Despite my pleas of "How gross! That snow is dirty!", both children insisted on picking up globs of snow from the ground and the deck furniture to taste.

The day warmed nicely and most of the snow was gone by early afternoon. But even though this snow was short-lived, we all enjoyed one last look at winter this year. We have had a lot of snow this year for our area. There were four separate events where we received several inches or more of accumulation. Fun! Well, except for the no power event, but that was another matter completely. This last week has definitely felt like spring, and the tulips (my favorite) are in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment