Monday, October 19, 2009

State Fair

We participated in what is a beloved activity for all Texans this weekend - a trip to the state fair. The children and Scott LOVE the fair while I am less of a fan. I hate to be all down about the much anticipated annual fair, but there's something about the crowds and tackiness of the midway that gets me cranky. On a positive note though, I enjoy watching Amelia and John have a good time on the rides, and the people-watching is especially gross and exciting (both at the same time). So all in all I guess a trip to the fair makes for some pretty good entertainment.

Below are Amelia and John in front of Big Tex. I suppose you would call Big Tex the landmark of the state fair. Tex is gigantic, and about every ten minutes a man's voice bellows out of the loudspeakers saying, "Howdy, folks! This is Big Tex here, and I want to welcome you to the state fair of Texas! Let me tell you what exciting things we have lined up for you today!" The voice is deep and has a slight southern twang to it, which really makes you feel like you are in the middle of such a special, uniquely Texas-style event.


What is ironic about this photo is that it looks like Amelia and John are the only people in front of Big Tex. But what the photo doesn't show are the thousands upon thousands of other people who had the same idea to attend the fair on Sunday like us. Tons of people were milling around Big Tex (and the rest of the farigrounds) and I have no idea how a single one escaped being in this shot with the kiddos. We knew the crowds would likely be bad given that the weather was perfect and it was the last weekend of the fair, but insanely crowded doesn't even begin to describe how jam-packed the fair was.

We waited in line for about 20 minutes to get our so-nutricious (not!) fried corn dogs for lunch. The Flecther's corn dogs are legendary (a piece of trivia for you - the corn dog was invented at the Texas state fair) and are actually quite yummy. This is definitely the only day of the entire year I will consume a corn dog willingly!

Amelia and John enjoyed about half a dozen rides before Scott and I had taken all we could of the crowds. This car ride was one of their favorites. It looks like a very simple and tame ride, but the cars actually snap the kids pretty quickly around some sharp curves, and I know they enjoyed it.

We all rode the gondola back across the fairgrounds before beginning the long walk back to the car. John made a cute comment about the gondola. He remembered that we had ridden a gondola up the mountain in Colorado this summer, so when he spotted the skyride at the fair, he asked if he could go on the "mountain car ride", please.
We were all tired and cranky on the way out of the fair, and the kids actually fell asleep in the car on the way home (a rare event these days). Next year we will be more careful about avoiding our visit on a peak weekend day, though it was still worth it to have a fun fair day this year on a gorgeous Autumn day.

No comments:

Post a Comment