Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ice day

School was cancelled for both children on Wednesday of this past week. There was some decent ice accumulation in the DFW area from this weeks' storm, so I suppose the cancallation was appropriate given the circumstances and where we live. SMU delayed opening until noon on Wednesday, which led me to cancel my classes that day and stay home with the kiddos.

So, what do we do on a day off when we are stuck, somewhat unexpectantly, at home and cannot drive anywhere? Well, first we (excuse me, I mean the children) create mailboxes (out of shoeboxes, decorated with stickers and glitter glue) and pretend to mail objects to each other. I don't remember how this activity started, but for a short time, the creation of the mailboxes was an amusing activity for the children.







Then we paint (note the change of clothing from the policeman outfit to the Spiderman costume for John. Plus John is now sitting on the table, which is a complete no-no, except for the fact that I am taking pictures and cannot quickly scold him for being on the table).










Then later in the afternoon we finally venture outside, to take a quick walk down the street to the little park.











Amelia and John quickly discover that they can easily spot unmelted bits of ice along the way to the park, so they stop to pick up pieces to show me how cold they are.





Lastly, we have the following conversation at dinner:

Amelia: Mom, it sure was a good idea for us to take a walk tonight (the aforementioned walk to the little park). That was fun.

Mom: And good exercise too. (said because mom was grateful that we all got out of the house and because the children burned off some energy).

Amelia: Yes, getting exercise is healthy for your body. Mom, what kinds of things are not so healthy for your body?

Mom: Well, eating junk food all the time is not so healthy. And sitting on the couch all day and not doing exercise is not healthy either.

Amelia: (making an "ooh" sound) Well, mom, that's what dad does. so I suppose his body is not healthy.

Mom: (trying not to laugh) What are you talking about? What does dad do?

Amelia: Dad sits on the couch on Saturdays. That's not healthy.

Mom: Amelia, why do you say that your father sits on the couch all day?

Amelia: Because he is always sitting with his COMPUTER (emphasis here is hers, not mine) on his lap. He sits there with his computer all day. (Yes, I know, I agree with this statement, but I swear, honestly to God, that I did not provoke a bit of these comments, though I couldn't have scripted it better myself).

Mom: (Trying to restrain herself) Amelia, I don't think daddy sits on the couch all the time. He likes to go out in the backyard and play with you and Johnny. You guys play football together outside. So why do you think he sits with his computer?

Amelia: Mom, it's because he has to do his WORK on the computer (again her emphasis, not mine). Duh.

Mom: (not happy about the "duh" comment) What does mom like to do all day on the weekends?

Amelia: Cook, mostly. (partly true, especially as of late. But still pretty eye-opening when your child tells you spend too much time in the kitchen. Message to self to change this behavior, at least a little bit)

So that's where the conversation ended. And yes, can you believe the little angel Amelia said "duh" to her mother in conversation? I was pretty upset at that (and told her so), but it was hard to say much on top of that after the nearly spot-on conversation about her father's habits sometimes (yes, only sometimes, definitely not all of the time).

Not as quirky as the "Talents" conversation (see post below), but noteworthy nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment