As all of you know, for the past eleven years I have been
working as a university professor. This academic career path began in the
summer of 2000 when I made the decision to quit my job and return to school to
pursue a Ph.D. in Accounting. With Scott’s support (we were engaged at the time
and were married the next year), we moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina so
that I could begin my graduate program. The next five years were full of
challenging course work that made significant demands on my (moderate, for the
Ph.D. world) intellectual capabilities and allowed me to explore the teaching
and research sides of an academic career. The goal at the end of my training
was to pursue a tenure-track position as an accounting professor at a
research-oriented university. So in spring of 2005 I was thrilled to accept an
offer to join the faculty of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. We
were both very excited because moving to Dallas was a good fit for Scott’s
career given the numerous opportunities for tax consulting work in this large
city.
On the career side, the next seven years were filled with
routine tasks of academic life. I taught a handful of classes each year,
interacted with fellow colleagues, and pursued my research interests with the
goal of publishing academic studies in the top academic accounting journals. I
had some success with research - my dissertation got published in a top
accounting journal, great! I also learned that I was a good teacher, and more
importantly, that I love teaching and working with serious-minded students. On
the personal side, I was a young mother with pre-school (and then
elementary-age) children, and wife to a husband with a very demanding career in
the client service industry. Scott and I were busy and career-driven, grateful
for our family and for our relatively easy way of life in Dallas. Our kids were
growing up well, and we created many good family memories in between all of our
work obligations. We bought a home about a mile away from the SMU campus and
about five miles from Scott’s office, which allowed us both to spend a minimal
amount of time spent driving and commuting around. I felt like I had a good
amount of “work/family balance” (whatever that means). I was glad that my
flexible professor work schedule accommodated our family’s lifestyle.
But my efforts weren’t “enough” for my career. The funny
thing about being a tenure-track faculty member at a research-oriented
university is that your evaluations are based largely on your research
accomplishments (about 75% weight), with minor weighting on the teaching. So I
started to learn that the thing I was better at – teaching – was not valued at
the institution I was a member of. Ultimately my contract was going to expire
at SMU in the next two years because I didn’t meet the research standards, and
since Scott and I didn’t want to leave Dallas I started looking for another job
at a local university.
In spring of 2012 I felt I found a good match at Texas
Christian University, located in Fort Worth, Texas (about 40 miles from our
home in Dallas). I accepted a position for a tenure-track position as an
accounting professor - again. The professional evaluations of progress towards
tenure at TCU were slightly less tilted towards the research side (maybe 60/40,
rather than 75/25), so I thought this might be a better fit for me. I thought
this would be a fresh start, per se, to try again at the “traditional” academic
path.
Rewind, repeat, I did the same thing at TCU for four years
that I had done at SMU for seven years prior. Except now I had to factor in a
one-hour one-way commute (up to two-hours each way on bad traffic days) on the
days I went to Fort Worth. I only travelled to Fort Worth on the days I taught
classes or had meetings with students (about 3 days a week, on average). I also
enjoyed working from home on the days I didn’t have to commute, and I tricked
myself into believing that this arrangement was rewarding.
But again I learned that my efforts on the career side
weren’t “enough”. While my teaching ratings were well above average, the
academic papers I published while I was a faculty member at TCU weren’t judged
to be of the quality required for a successful tenure case. So at the end of my
11-year journey down the traditional tenure-track route, I was very frustrated
with the very high and seemingly unattainable research standards deemed
acceptable to earn tenure. I was beyond emotionally ready to pursue an
alternative. From a practical perspective, I needed to find something different
if I wanted to continue to work in the Dallas area. Scott and I decided that we
weren’t interested in moving away from Dallas given our family’s quality of
life here and the rewards for Scott’s career.
So I contacted the Dallas-area universities and inquired
about teaching-oriented positions. I knew I was done pursuing academic research
as part of my career. I explained my situation to the accounting department
leaders at The University of Texas at Dallas and SMU and expressed interested
in joining their faculties. Neither school had a job posting at the time, but
both schools seemed enthusiastic about potentially having a position open up in
the next few years that would be a good fit for my experience and areas of
interest. So I resigned myself to wait patiently for a more local position to
open up. In the meantime I could still work at TCU for a while longer under my
current contract.
Fast forward to a random Friday in February of this year when
I was working at home on class preparation tasks. I checked email after taking
a break to prepare my lunch and I saw a message in my inbox from the SMU
accounting department chairman. He was writing to tell me that the Dean had
recently approved a full-time teaching position and he wanted to ask if I was
interested in returning to SMU in this role. This message was unexpected, but
seemed to be good news. After inquiring further about the details of the
position and conducting several telephone conversations to determine if this
was a good fit for me, I replied yes and gladly accepted a job offer for a
full-time teaching position at SMU.
The classes that I will teach at SMU match my experience and
interest, and the number of classes and timing is very reasonable for the
compensation provided under the contract. More importantly, I am looking
towards a future career with a more reasonable family/work life balance
schedule. I never thought that driving all the way to Fort Worth several times
each week would be so taxing (both on me personally and on our family in
general), and I am thrilled to think that the crazy commute will be over soon. Scott
seems to be pretty relieved about the new SMU arrangement as well, since my
stress about commuting to Fort Worth and my cranky mood on bad traffic days was
taxing on him as well as the rest of the family. On the professional side, I am
very excited about being able to focus on teaching almost 100% of the time. I
feel most engaged with academic life when I am in the classroom or meeting with
students in my office one-on-one.
The purpose behind this post is partly to share news of my
journey with friends and family, but more importantly to share the larger
realization that this experience has given me. Several times throughout this
long journey I have had to search deep to try and figure out what actions I
should take when I was most frustrated. I did not ask myself what I really
wanted to do and instead I chose what I “should do”. At times I prayed to God
for patience while waiting for plans to evolve, but I tried to take more
control over the situation than was feasible. And even though I felt like I was
“in control” of my career path, forging forward with the research/teaching
“balance”, I really don’t think that this is the case. I really wasn’t being
honest with myself most of the time, nor was I really thinking about the fact
that the “path” is not within my control.
For me, the bigger picture is that God has a plan for all of
us, and that His plan gets executed rather than the plan we think we
have in mind. God’s plan for us is not always what we want (or what we think we
want – e.g., tenure and a research-oriented career, in my case), nor does His
timing necessarily coincide with when we think things should happen in our
lives. I think that God’s plan for me all along has been that I should teach
and serve as a counselor/guide for college-aged students, because this is where
He has graced me with ability and interest. Maybe the reason I tried to
continue along the “traditional” academic route for so long was so that He
could teach me this lesson, or so that I could learn this about myself. Maybe
the reason I tried to continue that route was because I was stubborn and
thought that I really was in control, when in reality I know that He is in
control.
And really the even greater thought behind all this is that
it’s not about God having a career path outlined for me, but more that if I
follow God’s desire for me to act in His image, the rest will all work out
according to His wishes. He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does
the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk
humbly with your God? – Micah 6:8
For the past two years I have served as a member of the
Confirmation teaching team at our church. I am one of four parents who
volunteer to work together to lead the Confirmation class of 6th
graders who are searching to understand whether they want to become members of
our church. One of the more significant lessons that we teach the kids is that
God has a plan for all of us, and ultimately His greatest desire is for us to
serve Him in this chosen capacity and with the kindness and behavior of a
Christian. So what is ironic is that I teach this lesson to kids and I do
believe it academically, but yet it has taken me this long – 11 years! – to really
feel the powerful effect of this lesson in my own life.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the
renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God,
what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2


Wendy, I'm so happy for you with your new position! It sounds like a really good fit for you and the family. It's a great example to your kids (and me!) that you followed God and were humble enough to change career trajectories, even after so many years. I really admire that. We can teach our kids to follow God, but it's even more compelling to just live it out for them.
ReplyDelete