Friday, February 7, 2014

John turns 8!

My little man turned 8 this week! What seems so hard to believe (John is 8!) at the same time seems perfectly appropriate.

Our day on Thursday (John's birthday, February 6) started off with a fun twist - show flurries on the way to school! The flurries started just as stepped outside the back door, which was kind-of cool. The weathermen were predicting a light dusting, but we actually received close to an inch of fluffy snow. I know this isn't much by snowfall standards, but since we were not expecting much this was quite a treat. John felt that the snowfall was especially designed for his birthday. :-) His thought process makes sense since it is our first snow on February 6th since moving to Dallas eight years ago. 


I spent parts of my day driving around our neighborhood at 15 miles an hour, scared to crash on icy patches again like I did during our December storm.

I took Krispy Kreme doughnuts to John's class during the lunch hour at the elementary school to celebrate John's birthday. It's always fun to see the hyped-up 2nd graders during their lunch hour, especially when you are the *cool* parent bringing a birthday treat into the cafeteria. Later that evening we enjoyed a mild celebration at home. John opened the cards he received from family members and Amelia and I surprised John with a basketball cookie cake.


Siblings strategically placing candles on the cake.


My big 8 year-old son!


John will celebrate his birthday later this month by attending a basketball game with a select group of friends. But for now John was happy to bask in the spotlight during a snowy and very cold day.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture of John with his cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so old!! Happy super belated birthday to my birthday twin!

    ReplyDelete