Scott has experimented with grilling pizza this year and the results are delicious. I love when Scott gets creative with his grilling and cooks things that are a departure from a large piece of meat cooked over the flames (charcoal grilling only in this household).
Saturday night Scott grilled two pizzas. One pizza was topped with marinara sauce, spicy Italian sausage, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and shredded mozzarella. The second pizza, the one pictured below, was topped with homemade pesto (made with basil from my overgrown end-of-summer basil plant), sautéed mushrooms, onions, and yellow pepper, sliced Texas tomatoes, chunks of soft goat cheese, and a little shredded mozzarella. I'll bet you can guess which pizza components Scott selected and which ones I suggested!
Making a grilled pizza is a lot like baking one with the exception of using the flames on the outdoor grill instead of an indoor kitchen oven. I made the dough in my bread machine and let it rest on a floured mat for awhile so that it would roll out easily. After rolling the dough into a small circle I placed it on Scott's pizza handle with a ton of cornmeal underneath the crust.
You can see the hot pizza stone on the grate of Scott's grill behind him. He is adding more cornmeal to the stone before sliding the pizza off the pizza handle and onto the stone. The cornmeal is important in preventing the crust from sticking and it helps the dough slide off the handle more easily too.
Scott leaves the pizza on the stone on the grill with the top of the egg closed, which I think is an important step. The photo below was taken just after the lid was raised and just before he used the pizza handle to grab the pizza from the grill.
The finished product! Admittedly this one got a little too black on the crust, but the pizza was delicious all the same.
That looks so good. Will you bring your dough recipe when you come in a few weeks please?
ReplyDelete