Monday, September 27, 2010

Music time

Since it rained most of the day on Saturday we found ways to amuse ourselves indoors. Rather, the kids amused themselves and I tried to play with them some while getting chores done at the same time.

I think that one of John's talents is his mechanical-oriented mind. I sometimes catch him looking at how objects are constructed or trying to figure out how the parts fit together. I think this is pretty cool but I don't know how to foster it well given his short attention span. So I decided to try Tinker Toys on Saturday, where we constructed a guitar for John out various pieces. The photo is on the can and we got pretty darn close to the design. John thought it was cool for about 10 minutes before destructing the guitar into dozens of pieces.

Meanwhile Amelia played drums with the Tinker Toy can.
Later on in the day once the rain had stopped I decided to go to the grocery store. And since Scott was out on an errand I took the children with me. Reason #410 why I should never take the kids with me to the grocery store is that I end up coming home with more items than planned (reasons #1-409 have to do with my frustration wtih their behavior in the store at times, which is another story altogether). I was an especially big sucker on Saturday because I let Amelia and John select fruit roll-ups as an addition to the cart. Gross.

And for added fun, I later discovered that these are roll-ups that double as stickers. Stickers that children stick to their SKIN before eating them. This is so unappealing to me that I am actually having trouble typing the words out. But apparently (as Amelia later told me because of course I didn't take the time to research this before plunking them in our grocery cart) is that each roll-up wrapper has a dare printed on it, and the eater has to perform the dare with their roll-up stickers. One of the kids' dares was to decorate their body with the pieces, which explains the photos below.



The marketers are genius, getting kids to want to eat this stuff. And I am just a big sucker for peace in the middle of the grocery store (and a little fun, kid-style too).

No comments:

Post a Comment