Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another one bites the dust

It has been several months since Amelia lost a tooth but about two weeks ago she lost her first upper tooth. Amelia had been talking about how this upper tooth was wiggly for awhile, but I didn't give it much thought. In retrospect the complaining about the wiggly tooth makes sense but at the time I didn't pay it much attention.

So then one Sunday I had the kids with me in the grocery store (I dread taking them with me to the store, but often I have to) and they were pleading to get their "good behavior" cookie from the bakery. I have a new rule in that we have to first get through the produce section of our shopping list, and then if they are good during that time we will circle back to the bakery to get a cookie for a treat. The kids are often good for the first task of produce in part because I have delegated a lot of responsibility lately to Amelia for helping with this. I tell her to go get "3 bananas, 2 apples, etc." and she and John go off - BY THEMSELVES, HALLELUJAH!! - to get the requested items. I then have a few moments child-free to pick up the more complicated vegetables that aren't as familiar to the kids, while still being able to see them across the way retrieving the bananas or apples as requested. Priceless.

Back to the cookie. Amelia took a few bites and then shreiked so loudly I was worried for a minute. "Mommy, my tooth!", and then all of a sudden she was displaying the kind-of gross tooth in her hand, while still munching on the sugar cookie in her other hand. It was a not-so-lovely sight to see, though I was excited for her. She knows the tooth fairy brings her cash $$, and though Amelia is quite conservative with spending, she still likes to receive more money.

Below is Amelia's toothless smile. Still beautiful as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment